But with the eventual advent of air travel - and the subsequent decline of long sea voyages - the port (and by extension the Anglican Church) in Marseille gradually lost much of its former importance.
Whereas the Church consisted previously of mainly English worshippers, it has now become, although reduced in numbers, international and more representative of the world-wide Anglican Communion. Successive chaplains and parishioners have ministered to seafarers and their families, instigating a Sailors' Reading Room (1866) which
developed into a Seamen's Club (1878), establishing a small school where sailors' families could be educated
before the advent of state schools, and assisting with a Seamen's Hospital (est. 1927).
1925 : Chapel in the Seamen's Club, rue de Forbin, near La Joliette, Marseille